As some of you know, the Dodger Prospects Podcast (DPP) is back! It is a joint effort between Dodgers Daily and our site. Just to get it out of the way please check it out here (https://www.youtube.com/@dodgersprospectspodcast) and please become a subscriber. Our latest podcast talks about the shortstop issue: free agent options, trade options, internal options, and some prospects to keep an eye on over the next few years.
The Dodgers know that shortstops are usually the best athlete in the diamond and it is reflected in their latest “gathering” of prospects. They went heavy in the 2022 draft at shortstop and international signings.
Free Agent or Trade Candidates
Carlos Correa, Dansby Swanson, and Willy Adames are the names that have come up so far in various rumors. We don’t go deep on these guys in the podcast but I am going to do quick pros and cons of the top two free agent shortstops left on the market.
- A top-level performer when it matters most.
- A proven complete player on both offense and defense.
- The Twins love him in the clubhouse and want him back, badly.
- The 2017 Astr*s cheating scandal. His leadership was on display but it was negative toward the Dodgers.
- He seems to have chronic back issues.
- It’s going to take a monster contract to get him.
Caveat Regarding The Cheating Scandal
I believe the Dodgers should talk to Dave Roberts, Clayton Kershaw, Chris Taylor, Austin Barnes, and Justin Turner (if he returns) to get their approval before considering Correa.
- Excellent defender
- Improved bat
- Cheaper than Correa (but by how much)
- He is attached to a Qualifying Offer. If the Dodgers sign him they lose their 2nd and 5th-round draft picks and $1M in international spending money.
- Are the improvements at the plate real? His strikeout rate is brutal.
- His arm strength is well below average
- Still very expensive
Right now, it looks like Gavin Lux is going to be given a chance to play his natural position with a real chance to become the starter.
If Corey Seager left after 2019, Gavin Lux would have been anointed as the SS before 2020. Something to ponder.
— Tim Rogers 2080 🇺🇸subscriber: (@TimRogers2080) December 11, 2022
Chris Taylor is also a candidate but he is also a candidate for 2B, LF, and CF. I prefer to let CT3 be a utility player and play all those positions. The other player on the 40-man roster who is a consideration for the job is Jacob Amaya. As of right now, he is a glove-first candidate but his bat is coming along as evidenced by his great 2022 September.
The Shortstops In The System
Below is a list of all the shortstops in the system other than those mentioned above. For more information about the player, just click on their name.
- Eddys Leonard – also this article
- Austin Gauthier – also this article
- Rayne Doncon – also this article
- Alex Freeland
- Sean McLain
- Wilman Diaz
- Jose Ibarra
- Logan Wagner
- Nicolas Perez
- Natanael Castillo
- Yhonaider Gudino
- Eduardo Guerrero
- Raynerd Ortega
- Alexander Albertus
- Elio Campos
- Mairoshendrick Martinus
- Oswaldo Osorio
- Jeral Perez
The shortstop position is one of the most critical positions on the diamond. They are the captain of the infield and can set the tone on defense. We hope to cover more of these players over the next few months but, most importantly, don’t forget to check out our latest shortstop video.